I and my husband try to eat meatless twice a week. One day when I was out of ideas to make I came up with this yummy Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie, and it was a hit, not only with my husband but with my three kids also. This is an easy recipe to do, and I think you will fall in love with it, like my family has.
Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients
3 lb. Russet potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 c. dry lentils
3 Tbsp. olive oil
3 garlic clove minced
2 carrots, diced
1 c. green beans
1 c. peas
1 c. mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 parsnips, peeled and small dice
2 c. 1 cup vegetable broth
½ c. dry red wine
3 Tbsp. tomato paste
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
3 Tbsp. flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 tsp. sage
2 tsp. thyme
3 tsp. parsley
1 tsp. oregano
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 cup milk
1. Boil potatoes until fork tender, and mash with milk and butter, season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
3. Place lentils in a pot with water and boil for 20 minutes
4. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add diced onion to the skillet and saute for 5 minutes
5. Add the diced carrots, parsnip, celery, and garlic. Continue to saute for 5 more minutes until soft.
6. Add green beans, peas, tomato paste, and spices cook 5 more minutes.
7. Add wine, mushrooms and stir. Mix flour and broth and pour into in to vegetables let cook for 10 minutes.
8. Mix lintels into vegetables stir well.
9. Pour mix into a baking dish and top with mash potatoes, and let bake for 30 minutes
My kids go crazy for this every time I make it and my husband thinks it is one of the best things ever. I know your family will love it and that it will be on your dinner time schedule often. You can add and take thing items out of this recipe to fit your family needs. This Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie will feed 6 people large servings, and it goes will with corn bread or biscuits.
You can top it with cheese and green onions if you like to add some color.